Diabetes also called diabetes mellitus
Diabetes mellitus –It is a metabolic disorder characterized by hyperglycemia, glycosuria, hyperlipemia, negative nitrogen balance and sometimes ketonemia. A widespread pathological change is thickening of capillary basement membrane, increase in vessel wall matrix and cellular proliferation resulting in vascular complications like lumen narrowing, early atherosclerosis, sclerosis of glomerular capillaries, retinopathy, neuropathy and peripheral vascular insufficiency
Two major type diabetes mellitus
- Type-1 Insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, juvenile onset diabetes.There is Beta cell destruction in pancreatic islets majority of cases are autoimmune antibodies that destroy Beta cells are detectable in blood.In type 1 circulating insulin level are low or very low
- Type-2 Non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, maturity onset diabetes mellitus.There is no loss or moderate reduction in Beta-cell mass, insulin circulating is low, normal or even high, no anti Beta-cell antibody
∗Abnormality in glycoreceptor of Beta-cells so that they respond at higher glucose concentration
∗Reduce sensitivity of peripheral tissue to insulin
Insulin is a hormone secreted by the Beta-Cell of pancreas it controls the blood glucose level in the blood.Fat and carbohydrates break in your body in glucose
Insulin facilitates glucose transport across the cell membrane.Glucose entry in liver, brain, RBC, WBC and medullary cells is largely independent of insulin
- Insulin inhibits lipolysis in adipose tissue
- Insulin inhibits gluconeogenesis in liver
- Insulin facilitates amino acid entry and their synthesis into proteins and inhibit protein breakdown in muscle
Sign and Symptoms
- Increases thirst and hunger
- Frequent urination
- Weight loss or given that has no obvious cause
- Blurred vision
- Wounds that heal slowly
- Nausea, skin infection
- Patches of darker skin in area of body that have crease
- Breath that has a sweet, fruit or acetone order
- Reduce feeling in your hands or feet
Insulin is effective in all forms diabetes mellitus and is must for type 1 cases.Many type 2 cases and can be controlled by diet, reduction in body weight and appropriate exercise
Insulin in need by following cases
- Not controlled diet and No exercise
- Primary or secondary failure of oral hypoglycaemics
- Underweight patients
- Temporarily to tide over infection,trauma,surgery,pregnancy
- It is generally started with regular insulin given subcutaneously before each major meal
- The requirement is assessed by testing urine or blood glucose level
- Most type1 patients require 0.4-0.8 U/kg/ day
- In type 2 patients require dose of insulin varies o.2 – 1.6 U/ kg/day
- Obese patients require proportionately higher doses due to relative insulin resistance.
Herbal Methods to get rid of Diabetes
- Drink warm water with cloves of ginger in the morning, it will balance cholesterol
- You may take giloy along with warm water three times a day.
- Yoga in the morning is also beneficial.
- Kids and youngsters may start doing dance at home where footwork is high.
- Make a mixture of onion, garlic, neem, aloe vera, and tulsi pour it in boiling water, let the mixture be cool. Pour it into a water bottle and take sips of it whole day.